Saturday, January 5, 2013

{Review} Pantomime by Laura Lam

Pantomime
Author: Laura Lam
Release Date: February 5, 2012
by, Strange Chemistry
Source: Netgalley
Format: Kindle
Pages: 392
R. H. Ragona’s Circus of Magic is the greatest circus of Ellada. Nestled among the glowing blue Penglass—remnants of a mysterious civilization long gone—are wonders beyond the wildest imagination. It’s a place where anything seems possible, where if you close your eyes you can believe that the magic and knowledge of the vanished Chimaera is still there. It’s a place where anyone can hide.

Iphigenia Laurus, or Gene, the daughter of a noble family, is uncomfortable in corsets and crinoline, and prefers climbing trees to debutante balls. Micah Grey, a runaway living on the streets, joins the circus as an aerialist’s apprentice and soon becomes the circus’s rising star.

But Gene and Micah have balancing acts of their own to perform, and a secret in their blood that could unlock the mysteries of Ellada.{Goodreads}
~Review:
  Quick note: the cover!!! Love. Love. Love it!! I totally want that mask too..major jelousy right here! The circus tent in the back ground...the everything! Really like this cover! Fits the book like a glove! <3

  More serious matters: Pantomime was a book I was much anticipating. The premise just spoke to me saying "You must need this book Jaiden! MUST!!". So, naturally, I just needed to have it! I was a bit confused at first but I quickly caught on with the different time and POVs. Little did I know though that Micah and Gene were more closely linked than I thought....major shocker when I saw how their paths crossed. Really. There was a few things in the book that had me cautious and wary but all in all this book was fantastic! Also, the only real thing I can complain about this book is the lore and history of the world in the book. I wish the author would have gone into further detail explaining the different towns and history and mythology. I was super confused when it came to that. Maybe I missed something but I literally had no clue what made Byssia people Byssia people and who the Couple was and more. I kinda just had to skim those parts and pretend to know I knew.

  Other than those few hiccups like I said...fantastic! The writing style of Laura Lam was so enticing and wonderful. I felt as if every word had its own magic behind it! The circus was most definitely my favorite part of the book. It was described so wonderfully I felt as if I was there and experiencing the circus through Micah's eyes and truly feeling the awe and magic he felt for it. The imagination ran wild in this book. (even though some of it I didn't understand) Then the time...the era this book was set in was beautiful. I love the time of parasols, extravagant dresses, balls, courting, circus entertainment, etc. And again, Laura did it all perfectly. I felt as if I was truly there smelling the smells, seeing the sights, experiencing the protagonists experiences! Laura used words that described the situation, description, and severity of the subject on hand perfectly. She made me use the dictionary but I didn't find it tiring.

  Pantomime was a work of art! The characters were developed just to my liking. There were tons of side characters but you didn't get confused. At first it takes awhile to get to know everyone but not too long. Then of course those characters you end up loving and then the ones you love to hate! Omg. Drystan....I loved him just so you know ;) I also loved Gene's brother Cyril's best friend..and of course Cyril himself. Cyril was so loyal and understanding. He has a big heart and I would love to have a brother like him. Drystan was adorable and handsome and hilarious..he is a clown! ;D  Then that ending! That ending was the best part of the book. It was fast pace, terrible and emotional. I really hope there is a sequel because you can't just end a book like that. I really enjoyed reading Pantomime. It was unique and beautiful. Magic in its self. I recommend this book to anyone who wants a fun, mysterious, magical and intriguing read!

~Rating:
4 of 5 stars!!

Thanks for stopping by!
Have a great day!! :)
~Jaiden 

2 comments:

  1. KK I skimmed because I want to read th is too! I agree, the cover is so gorgeous I want to.dress up like this for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha ya it completely is gorgeous! Lol nice thinking itd be a cool Halloween costume!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...