Monday, March 4, 2013

{Review} Uses for Boys by Erica Lorraine Scheidt

Uses for Boys
Author: Erica Lorraine Scheidt
Release Date: January 15, 2013
by, St. Martin's Press
Source: *a copy was provided from Netgalley*
Pages: 240
Then comes Sam. When Anna actually meets a boy who is more than just useful, whose family eats dinner together, laughs, and tells stories, the truth about love becomes clear. And she finally learns how it feels to have something to lose—and something to offer. Real, shocking, uplifting, and stunningly lyrical,  Uses for Boys  is a story of breaking down and growing up.

Then comes Sam. When Anna actually meets a boy who is more than just useful, whose family eats dinner together, laughs, and tells stories, the truth about love becomes clear. And she finally learns how it feels to have something to lose—and something to offer. Real, shocking, uplifting, and stunningly lyrical,  Uses for Boys  is a story of breaking down and growing up.{Goodreads}
~Review:
  Short book...short review. ;P I was really looking forward to this one. It had an adorable cover and the premise really reeled me in. I like broken characters that find their place and finally poece by piece fix themselves. When I was approved on Netgalley for it I was so happy! However, this book was nothing I was expecting. Yes it has our broken protagonist. The writing is what really through me off. It wasn't like a normal YA book. It was like a poem. I came to really appreciate the way of writing after adjusting. It didnt really have a point of view at all. you kind of got that it was Anna telling the story but it was...different. that is the main word for this book. Different. and Unique. It also disnt have much dialogue but it worked in a way. i didn't mind it. It was fitting. It was a piece of art really. It was so unique and completely different. I had never read anything like it. Scheidt is what you call an artist, a writer with a magic hand.

  I felt bad for Anna. I truly felt sorry for her. She is probably the most broken character I have ever read. She was troubled and confused. She never truly had any real joy or love in her life so she didn't know there was anything different than being left and used. She didn't know what it was like to have a family or mom. Anna didnt know how she should have been treated. She was completely naive in some ways. Anna didnt know better plane and simple. Her story was one of finding and fitting in. Making mistakes and learning. Some people will take this book on confusion. Some will take it not so well and maybe a bit offensive. Some aren't going to see through the lines. Others will think they have the meaning and it all figured out but won't really. Some will get it truly and fully. Only the author truly know honestly. She knows what she wanted to convey and hope that others will see it and understand.

  All together this book was pretty good. I liked it but in some ways I didn't. Certain things rubbed me the wrong way. The thing I really really liked about Uses for Boys was the writing. It was really good and I loved it for its differences. I liked that it wasn't like anything I had ever read before. I liked the layers you tried to peal and understand. I liked that I may not have truly understand. Again this book may not be for everyone. No. I KNOW it's not for everyone. It's indescribable  It's a hit or miss kind of thing. I suggest you to try it on for size. It wasn't a favorite of mine but I did enjoy it. Not as much as I had wanted to but enough where I will give it a good rating. Just make sure that going into this book you know it's unique. Know that it isn't going to be at all what you think. It's not a fluffy happy go lucky kind of book. It's not a cute I will find my way kind of book. It's not a sweet contemporary. It's less but so much more. It all depends on how you look at it and how you choose to SEE it.

~Rating:
3 of 5 stars!!!

Thanks for stopping by!!
Have a great day!! :D
~Jaiden

1 comment:

  1. Once you have mastered the kitchen and your proper nutrition
    you are 80% to effective weight loss. We have become
    in total in the western culture, a couch potato, slow moving, over weight and flaccid society.
    On a side note, the abdominal region is often where the majority of one.


    my webpage; best way to lose belly fat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...