Tuesday, April 9, 2013

{Review} What the Spell? by Brittany Geragotelis

What the Spell?
Series: Life's a Witch #1
Author: Brittany Geragotelis
Release Date: January 29, 2013
by, Simon and Schuster
Source: *a copy was provided by the author for review*
Pages: 288
A teenage witch juggles popularity and romance while keeping her powers a secret in this spellbinding debut.Almost-sixteen-year-old Brooklyn feels invisible, but she desperately wants to be pretty, to be popular, to be adored by a cute guy. Luckily for her, she’s a witch about to come of age—so she’s only a few spells away from making it all happen.


On her milestone birthday, Brooklyn’s conservative parents finally unbind her powers, which include the ability to magically match couples with a love spell. Brooklyn uses her special skills to get a makeover, new friends, and the attention of her crush, Asher. But the popular clique Brooklyn wants to infiltrate puts her in the same precarious position as her Salem ancestors: If she’s found out, she could be vilified—and lose Asher in the process. Can she make the most of her magic, or will she be luckless and loveless? Be careful what you witch for!{Goodreads}
~Trailer:

~Review:
  The way I got this book was totally epic. I had it as a WOW post cray se I loved the quirky title and series name. A quirky author=a fun book! So anyways she saw the tweet and was gracious enough to offer me a copy!! I was super excited!!

  Now the main question? Was it worth all my hype? Yes I think it was. There were times I wanted to throw it across the room and slap Brooklyn so hard that her head turned around but I still enjoyed it when the book ended.

  Brooklyn was my main problem but it was a problem created purposely by the author I think. The thing is is Brooklyn is a witch. A witch that had her powers bound for her life until now, her sixteenth birthday. If your powers were bound your whole life would you be a little more than curious and go a little buck-wild? Ya well that's what she does. But another thing is Brooklyn is a sort of wall flower and she is tired of it. She's tired of her average looks and eating lunch with the guidance counselor. She wants to be noticed. Admired. Envied. She wants to be an Elite. I was just so annoyed by how shallow and naive she was. She made mistake after mistake hurting people after people and ruining why made her...her!! Again that was kind of the point. If she hasn't done all those stupid things that made me want to slap her she wouldn't have learned and t wouldn't have ended the way it did.

  This book was fun and more of a contemporary with a slight dash of the witch paranormal. I mean, excluding the magic Brooklyn uses to get her through life it would be a contemporary. Now I know what your thinking. Wouldn't that be the case with ALL paranormal books? Strip away the paranormal and that's all your left with right? Ok so let me rephrase then. There wasn't any paranormal goal. There wasn't some huge witch hunter threatening Brooklyn or anything like that that normally drives the paranormal plot. There was mention of the Salem witch trials and hunters but that was it. Just mentioned.

  I think What the Spell was a fun read. It is the book that introduces one hell of a series. I can feel it. The way it ended just goes to show the amount of potential for the Life's a Witch series and I am highly looking forward to reading more of it. It was like the Nightwatchers series by Michelle Rowen. book one wasn't my favorite but i knew the next one would be epic and it totally was. there is so much potential for this series its ridiculous! hopefully book two will bring just what it needs to and dazzle me! ;D The writing was really clean and crisp. It flowed and made for a breezy read. Knowing this book had an awesome author made the book that much more awesome. You could tell she had fun writing it just by reading it. That my friends is something you don't get all the time. To actually feel that is spectacular! It's a one in a million kind of thing. Would I recommend this book? Yes!!

~Rating:
3.5 of 5 stars!!!

Thanks for stopping by!!
Have a great day!! :)
~Jaiden 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...