Wednesday, June 19, 2013

{Review} The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave
Series: The Fifth Wave #1
Author: Rick Yancey
Release Date: May 7, 2013
by, Putnam Juvanille
Source: bought
Pages: 457
The Passage meets Ender’s Game in an epic new series from award-winning author Rick Yancey. 
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.{Goodreads}
~Review:
  Wowy-Wow-Wow-Wow!!! Wow. I was recommended this book by a friend and because of the amount of trust I have in his choices, I was all for starting it. No questions asked. So, I downloaded the book and began reading. As I began reading I found out that it was an alien-post-apocalyptic book. Only one problem...I am NOT a huge alien book fan. I don't know why but the subjects of aliens in YA just don't please me. I don't like them very often. I have read one series that was about aliens and even though I liked it I didn't particularly care for it. So after telling my friend that I don't like alien books he told me to shut up and read the book ;P He claimed it was good and again because of my trust in his likes I continued to read. Not only that but after looking at my goodreads friend's reviews I decided it might be worth it...the worst that could happen is I hated it right? Right.

  So, the question is...did I end up hating it? Uhm..hell no I didn't! I am so glad I continued to read it. This is one of those rare books that have genius written all over it. Rick Yancey is just that...a genius. It is true without a doubt. His writing is superb. Now this is a well written book. The way he wrote every character is outstanding! I immediately fell in love with Cassie's POV and then Ethan's (even though we only got one chapter from him! Total and only disappointment I had with this book) and her brother's and then well...I better not mention the other one since it is kind of a spoiler. Anyways, point is is that Rick Yancey puts a whole new definition to the word "talented". I am pretty sure that if you look the word "talented", "genius", "creative", and "unique" Rick Yancey's name would be under each and everyone of those.

  I don't even know how to explain his writing. It is something that you have to read for yourself. Its not crazy philosophical or lyrical or anything like that. It is probably so enjoyable because of how true it is. His writing is realistic. The way he thinks it all out. His characters especially. I am sorry but I have a hard time believing that if a post-apocalyptic event like the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, wave happened no 16 year old girl would go out into the streets without any fear, full combat skills, or all that mumbo-jumbo. Its cool to read about those stuff but it makes the story that much more fictional and as enjoyable as that is it doesn't quite hook you like a more realistic fictional story does. If that makes any sense at all. Cassie is just one teen girl looking to survive for herself, her father and her little brother. She has to make life risking decisions and choices that have ultimate consequences. She is scared and frightened and she keeps this journal where she documents everything that has happened and the war going on in her mind. It was beautiful!

  I think Cassie was a hell of a lot more enjoyable than Katniss! She was snarky and funny. Cassie is brave and strong in ways Katniss can never be. Seriously, Katniss and The Hunger Games better watch out. Rick Yancey has one hell of a series that is going to put both to shame! Sorry. The truth that Mr. Yancey puts behind every character's actions was what hooked me the most. At the end of the book I was left wondering how my actions might be different and how I may or may not be able to survive if something like this were to happen. So in case you haven't gotten the hint yet, The 5th Wave has different POVS. While I love when authors do this I also hate it. Only for one reason though. Reason being, they end each POV at the worst possible moment and I am left wanting to skip the next POV so that I can finish the one I was just reading. It is a torturous method.

  While there was some great action in this book, it wasn't action at every corner. That being said, when there was action I about died every time. There at the end my feels were feeling too many feels that I think I might have almost passed out from the amount of hyperventilating I was doing. No. Joke. And then by the end of the book...this was my reaction (according to my last Goodreads update):

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can't end a book like that!!!!! where the he'll is Evan!!!!?? I want me some Evan!!!!! DAMN IT!!!! Please tell me the sequel is out tomorrow...next week...o wouldn't even mind a month..."

  Ya, I pretty much through an emotional ride hissy fit. ;P What can I say!? Its the effects of reading this wondrous book! There were so many great things in this book you can't even count them individually. You just have to wrap them all up in a pretty bow and call them The 5th Wave. Yes, because the entire book was awesomesauce. So wait? What about the whole alien bit? It didn't faze me? Nope. It was a different kind of alien lore. It was different enough for me to realize it was aliens but not feel as if they were aliens. I know, doesn't make sense. Basically I was able to look over the whole alien bit and enjoy the book for everything it was. I actually really enjoyed the alien bit! Rick Yancey's The 5th Wave was an exception to my "hate alien books" rule.

  I can seriously not complain about one thing in The 5th Wave. It was incredible! I ate this book like it was my favorite pizza! I completely devoured it. I can't wait any longer for book two. I seriously need it ASAP! The way it ended...was cruel. I can't see where Rick takes this series. I am a HUGE Rick Yancey fan everyone. He is a true genius and now a huge favorite of mine! If you are a fan of The Hunger Games then be prepared to have your socks blown off. I honestly think that everyone should go out and buy a copy so they can read the thrilling adventure that is The 5th Wave. This is one of those 2013 books you NEED. If you are looking around and need a book to read this should be your first choice. Once I could put my alien book hate I was hooked. I didn't want to put it down. There is a reason this book is on my "need in order to breathe" shelf. Its one of those rare books I am going to keep around for as long as I live. One that I will snuggle with at night. One that I will re-read till its worn and falling apart. One that will follow me everywhere I go. It is a part of my heart now and it always will be! THAT my friends is where my love of this book exceeds and the amount of amazeballs it is. ;D

~Rating:
Need-In-Order-To-Breath!!!!!!! (5 stars times a billion) 

Thanks for stopping by!
Have a wonderful summer day! :)
~Jaiden

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...